From Main Course to Dessert some delicious and quick recipes
When you mention 4th of July to most people it brings to mind picnics and get togethers with family and friends. We all will be celebrating a little different this year. Even though this year includes social distancing and caution we can all still enjoy our favorite picnic food!
With this post I decided to do a round up of some great recipes. I would like to share them with all of you. Sometimes the hardest part of planning a picnic or any gathering is thinking up just what you can serve. I hope the following list of recipes will be tried out by some of you. Many will be familiar to you. I always go to my favorite recipe books for ideas and I’m guessing you all do to.
I have narrowed down the recipes to ones that can be done with out turning your oven on. I have also listed them in categories so they are easy to pick out.
Alternative to Grilling:
As much as we all enjoy cooking on the grill at times it’s nice to have something a little different. This not only gives the host time to visit but also is something you can do ahead and have it ready to serve.
Delicious way to cook up pulled pork
- crock pot or slow cooker
- 4- 6 pound Pork Shoulder Roast
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4-1/2 Cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 bottle Worcestershire Sauce
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1 TB. sugar
- 1-2 tsp pepper
- 1 small onion diced
- Trim all visible fat off pork roast. Lay in bottom of slow cooker/crock pot. Add rest of ingredients to pork roast
- Turn on cooker to low and cook at least 6 hours or more. Check on while cooking and once tender you can start shredding pork with a fork.
- The size of roast is approximate. Longer cooking just makes meat more tender.
- Serve on sandwich buns
Delicious barbecue ham!
- 1 lb chipped ham
- 4 Tab vinegar
- 2 Tab Water
- 4 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 8 Tab. Ketchup
- sprinkle Paprika
- Heat 2 Tab. butter in pan: pour rest of ingredients including chipped ham into pan. Simmer 5 minutes.
- You can easily double this recipe by just adding more ham and increasing other ingredients.
- Serve in sandwich buns
There are so many choices of salads. The couple recipes below are both easy to make and are favorites at most picnics!
A quick delicious pasta salad. Can be made ahead a couple days.
- 1 box Tri color Rotini
- 1 bottle Italian dressing
- 1 12 oz can black olives ( optional)
- 1/2 Cup Diced Red peppers
- 8 oz Mozzarella Pearls
- 1 small head Broccoli
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion
- 1/2- 1 Cup Cucumber
- 1 Cup pepperoni (chopped) ( optional)
- 1 packet Italian Dressing
- Bring 4-6 quarts of water to boil
- Add Rotini and cook aprrox. 7-9 minutes
- Drain well and place in large bowl
- Chop all your vegetables into bite size pieces while your pasta is cooking. *Be sure to peel cucumber before slicing.
- Everything should be chopped into bite size pieces.
- If using olives, drain can
- Dump all ingredients on top of the pasta
- Sprinkle the Italian Dressing Packet on top.
- Now add the bottle of Italian Dressing into the pasta/vegetables.
- Mix well.
- Store in airtight container. Can be stored for 3-4 days.
A quick easy summer salad!
- 1 20 oz. can Crushed Pineapple
- 1 3 oz box instant Pistachio pudding
- 1 bag Mini Marshmallows
- 1 16 oz. container
- Mix pudding and pineapple together in large bowl.
- Add Cool Whip, mix well.
- Add mini marshmallows and mix well.
- Place in refrigerator to chill approx. 1 hour.
There are so many desserts that can be served at a picnic but I decided to share these 2 recipes since neither one needs to be baked!
A delicious easy recipe made with vanilla pudding & Oreos!
- 9×13 Pan
- 2 boxes Instant vanilla pudding
- 1 8 oz. block Cream Cheese ( softened)
- 1 16 oz. container Cool Whip
- 1 package Oreos
- Mix pudding as directed on package. Put in refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- In mixing bowl combine cool whip and softened cream cheese until blended well.
- Add pudding to cool whip/cream cheese mixture.
- Coarsely chop Oreos.
- In a 9×13 inch pan spread cookies on bottom. Next spread a layer of pudding mixture.
- Continue with a layer of cookies then pudding mixture.
- Top with chopped cookies.
- Refrigerate until chilled approx. 30 minutes~ 1 hour
OREO Freak Out
A delicious dessert combining Oreo's, ice cream and caramel or hot fudge sauce!
- 9 x 13 inch Pan
- 1 package Oreo Cookies
- 1 8 oz container Cool Whip
- 1/2 gallon Vanilla Ice Cream softened
- 1 jar Caramel Ice cream sauce
- 1 jar Hot Fudge sauce
- 1 cup chopped peanuts ( optional )
- 2 TBSP melted butter
- Crush 2 Rows of Oreo's, mix with melted butter and spread in bottom of 9×13 inch pan.
- Spread ice cream over Oreo's
- Spread Cool Whip over ice cream.
- Pour on hot fudge or caramel sauce, then peanuts. You can do half hot fudge and half caramel if you'd like!
- Crush remaining Oreo's and sprinkle on top.
- Place in freezer until ready to serve! Let sit for a few minutes before serving for easier cutting